Overlocker sewing machines are now gaining worldwide popularity. This is thanks to both their professional finish and versatile stitches.
The introduction of color-coded threading guides has made them easier to use than ever.
If you’re looking for the best sewing machine, an overlocker is a smart choice.
An overlock is a type of stitch used for hemming, seaming or edging.
Overlocker sewing machines – commonly known as sergers in the US – stitch with 3-5 stitches simultaneously. The core use is for joining up seams, trimming excess fabric and preventing fraying in one simple operation. These machines run at great pace. Overlockers turn out between 1000 and 9000 stitches per minute.
Long gone are the days, though, when you had to pay four figures just for the sake of a professional stitching machine. These high-end machines are now a relative bargain.
- Different Types Of Sewing Machines
- Top 7 Overlocker and Sewing Machine Reviews
- Buying Guide For Choosing The Best Serger Sewing Machine
- Now For The Wrap-Up
Different Types Of Sewing Machines
Depending on your precise needs, there are many options available if you’re in the market for the best sewing machine.
Firstly, decide whether you want an all-purpose sewing machine or an overlocker.
What do you get with an overlocker?
- An overlocker sewing machine lets you produce a range of stitches. You use multiple threads which are then overlocked to create a striking and effective result
- You will get easy loopers – housed underneath the major sewing bed – in place of bobbins. Needles are likely to poke through the fabric so the loopers pass in front
- With these machines you will get built-in cutters that are technically defined as sergers. These drastically reduce the effort and time required
Top 7 Overlocker and Sewing Machine Reviews
|Image||Machine||Built-in Stitches||Our Rating||Price|
|Brother 1034D Serger||22||4.5+||$$$|
|SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish||1300||4.3+||$$$|
|Brother Cs6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine||60||4.5+||$$$|
|SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist||600||4.4+||$$$|
1) Brother 1034D Serger
This sewing machine, the Brother 1034D, is known for its 4 thread serger. It has easy-lay threads with different types of feeds.
The 1034D features a 3 or 4 lay-in thread system along with a lower looper threader.
The primary stitch options are a 3-thread overlock and 4-thread overlock which will narrow hems with ribbon locking stitches.
The lower loop threading system helps with extremely easy thread changes.
With differential feed, the machine enhances sewing results with thin or stretch fabrics. You can enjoy a perfect finish.
Snap-on presser feet mean quick and easy changes changes to switch between stitching methods.
There’s a great instructional videotape that will help you learn the art of serging in no time.
Key Features and Benefits
- High performing thread serger: The 3-thread or 4-thread serger delivers in fine style. You’ll be able to edge-finish a wide range of fabrics from linens and knits through to formal wear. Create ruffles, gathers, decorative edges, laces and even spaghetti straps as some basic options
- Built-in stitching function: This product comprises of 22 built-in stitching functions that are associated with 4-thread overlocking system. It also has 3-thread overlock and some additional features. These include rolled hem, narrow ribbon lock stitches, and specialty stitch functionality for bridal or formal wear. Create heirloom, home décor, crafts and reinforced taping applications fuss-free
- Differential fabric feed: This machine focuses on differential fabric feed meant for professionals. You’ll get even stitching quality on knitted, thin and stretchy fabrics
- Video instructions: This machine is easy to thread and to learn in general. Take advantage of the great instructional video and printed manual for all your needs. You will get numbered, color-coded lower and upper looper threading. With free phone support and a 25-year limited warranty, you can’t ask for more
- Accessories: This machine comes in a wonderful package with 2 snap-on feet, a soft cover, a foot controller and needles. These are standard sewing needles. Note: you need to have 120V AC to run this machine
Stitch width is fully adjustable.
The Brother 1034D can be well flicked between 5mm and 7mm measurement from the left side of the needles. This enables you to choose the perfect stitch for any project. Whether you want 4-thread overlock, narrow hem or ribbon lock stitches, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
The machine is extremely rapid with nearly 1300 stitches per minute. This speed saves time and delivers top-notch stitching. The speed is adjustable.
Price under $200
2) SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish
You can adjust the width and length of stitches as it comes with differential feed.
Color-coded lay-in threads make setting up a breeze.
You can save time with hems as the seam finish and seams have of 2, 3 or 4-thread capacities.
Optional free arm helps with stitching cuffs and sleeves.
This machine is incredibly swift kicking out 1300 stitches per minute.
With automatic fabric trimming, you can shift from one project to another with ease.
Easily rolled hems and flat decorative locking are a wonderful touch.
If you’re looking for the best overlocking sewing machine, this model is well worth a place on your shortlist.
Key Features and Benefits
- Multiple thread options: This product has the capability to deal with 2, 3 or 4 threads, which offers a superb variety of stitches
- Differential Feed: Differential feed helps to eliminate puckering and stretching on various types of fabrics
- Built-in roller hems: You will also get 4 built-in roller hems which assist in widening your hemming options. If you need to deal with lightweight fabrics, this sewing machine is ideal for that purpose
- Length and width-adjustable stitches: This machine offers adjustable length and width of stitches. It even helps to keep the seams strong which in turn prevents any bunching of fabrics
- Color-coded threading: Color-coded threading is extremely important as it makes setting up a quick and easy task. This is a 110-volt machine specifically designed for use in the US and Canada
With color-coded thread, you can easily start the threading process which is a great time-saver.
2, 3 or 4-thread capability means there is ample stitching variety.
You can remove the cloth plate to access the free arm. This makes it straightforward to sew otherwise difficult-to-reach areas like cuffs and armholes. It also simplifies smaller projects like childrens’ clothing.
The product comes an outstanding 25-year manufacturing warranty with electronic components covered for 2 years. Labor and parts are guaranteed for 90 days.
This machine also has adjustable tension to keep stitches even and balanced.
4 built-in rolled hems offers you great diversity.
3) SiRUBA HSO-747D
You’ll get 2 needle 4-thread service with versatile stitches and a color-coded threading guide. There are handy safety micro-switches. These switches prevent sewing when the front side is open.
Its differential feed mechanism and an adjustable presser foot are there to make your life easier.
This serger machine is extremely simple to operate and is perfect for beginners and advanced sewers alike. If you are planning to boost your creativity, this machine is here to help.
This product is solely designed for domestic usage and available only in the US.
Key Features and Benefits
- Convertible threads: The machine has 2 needles along with convertible 3 or 4-threads
- Differential feeding: You will revel in free arm sewing with a convertible presser foot. It has a differential feeding mechanism and a light to brighten the working areas
- Color-coded threading chart: The color-coded threading chart means you can get started fuss-free
- Easy seaming: Say goodbye to wavy seams on knitted fabrics and enjoy pucker-free seams with lightweight material
- Machine adjusting chart: You will also get a machine adjusting chart
When you purchase the SiRUBA HSO-747D, you will get a screwdriver, tweezers, a hexagon wrench key, a nice machine cover, a set of 4 needles and a clear instruction manual. Also thrown in are 4 spool holders and some suction cups. This is an impressive set of accessories for both operation and maintenance.
With an adjustable tension dial, you can control the tightness of threads for perfect seams.
The free arm sewing or the support bed can be easily removed if needed. With the free arm conversion you can work confidently with sleeves, pant legs and cuffs.
The threading chart forms an integral part of this product. It helps you with basic color indicators.
Whenever the front cover remains opened, the safety switch puts a stop to any form of accidental sewing.
Price under $200
4) Brother DZ1234
Are you planning to shorten some jeans or a dress quickly? This serger is perfect for these kind of alterations. You can cut or alter finished garments with ease.
The Brother DZ1234 has 3 and 4-thread configuration for superior better stitching quality with a variety of fabrics.
There are 2 sets of starter threads and a blind hem stitching foot included. You’ll also get a gathering foot and a piping foot to help you achieve a professional finish.
There’s a superb instructional DVD to help you get to grips with serging, in no time! Many people are visual learners and this is a nice touch.
Long gone are the days when you had to spend thousands of dollars for an overlocking machine. This affordable model from Brother offers top quality without breaking the bank.
Key Features and Benefits
- Blind hem stitching: This serger has a blind hem stitching foot along with a piping and gathering foot. 2 specific sets of starter thread give you all you need for a customized look. Enjoy high-end finishes on any of your designs
- Fast stitching: Very rapid at 1300 stitches per minute. Create couture level fashion extremely quickly
- Easy color-coding: This machine has reliable, simple color-coded threading. This makes start-up straightforward
- Durable and consistent stitch quality: The differential fabric feed provides 0.7 to 2.0 ratios on most major fabrics. It copes particularly well with lightweight knits
- Easily adjustable width: You can adjust the width of stitches between 3mm and 7mm. Get perfect, customized stitches
If you want to make some narrow piping using piping cord and fabric strips, there are plenty of options available with this machine.
The foot is also used for guiding and holding the zippers in place with a special guide on the underside to simplify the process.
For a combination of speed, quality and price, the Brother DZ1234 is a wonderful overlocker machine well worth exploring.
5) Janome 2212
Over the past few years, Janome 2212 sewing machine has whipped up a storm among sewing experts.
It is now a reference point for a professional sewing machine known for its exceptional features, sturdiness and great value for money. It’s also very well-suited for novices.
The prices are affordable when compared to many leading brands but quality is not compromised.
For beginners, this sewing machine is perhaps the best option. With exceptional performance, superb build quality and a reasonable price tag, you can’t go far wrong.
We’ll look now at some of the key features and benefits along with the pros and cons.
Key Features and Benefits
It has 12 built-in stitches which can be controlled easily with a dial.
There is a front loading bobbin with some strong free arm options.
This machine can comfortably sew at a respectable speed of 850 stitches per minute.
Weighing just 15 pounds, the Janome 2212 is extremely lightweight without feeling fragile.
A 4-step buttonhole is ideal for simple, effective buttonhole work.
- The bobbin wind is both simple to master and easy to use. Beginners can get up to speed quickly with the more basic features. You can quickly switch through the stitches by simply turning the dial
- The lightweight nature of this machine means you can take it to and from sewing class or move it around the house without straining yourself
- When compared with many other sewing machine, this best sewing machine for beginners is quiet while operating
- There are several accessories bundled with the machine. You’ll get a zipper foot, blind foot, foot control, buttonhole foot, needle set, seam ripper and bobbin. These accessories are far beyond what many similar overlock machines offer and contribute to a great value package
- Frequent needle breaks are reported by some customers. This can be eliminated by changing the needles after 8 hours of continuous usage
- This machine is best suited for beginners
This Janome 2212 might be a basic product but, for that very reason of simplicity, it remains among the best options if you want the best sewing machine for beginners.
Overall, the advantages outweigh any minor snags.
If you want a no-nonsense serger which is a joy to use without overspending, think seriously about checking out the Janome 2212.
6) Brother Cs6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine
Sewing and crafting are making a comeback and one of the best ways to get onboard with this trend is to buy a versatile sewing machine.
If you are new to sewing, one of the most effective and affordable sewing machines on the market is the Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine.
It’s absolutely ideal for novice sewers because it is very easy to work with yet comes with a fine range of features. The CS6000i has a complete set of accessories and can be used for a wide range of projects like making home decor or quilt work.
The Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine has 60 stitches and a 1-step automatic buttonhole marker in 7 styles so you can customize, construct or personalize any clothing projects you are designing.
It is lightweight and highly portable.
The LCD screen indicates the function being performed.
This Brother has an automatic needle threading system. The jam-resistant bobbin makes your work easier. It’s perfect for working on needlework projects and considered perhaps the best sewing machine for beginners.
Highlighted Features Of The Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine
- Types of stitches: The machine has 60 stitches including decorative stitches, seam stitches and buttonhole stitches. It’s an excellent choice for all your embroidery needs
- Electronic speed control: This lets you change the speed easily matched according to the fabric texture you are working on with each project
- Bobbin winder: There’s a useful image printed on top of the machine to show you where to put the thread and wind the bobbin very easily. The see-through bobbin cover lets you see clearly while you are threading
- Start/ Stop button: This helps you to use the machine without the foot control. You can start or stop the machine hands-free
- Easily portable: The machine is ultra-portable weighing in at only 6 kg with dimensions of 16″ x 6.7″ x 11.4″. It can be carried from place to place without undue effort
- LCD screen for stitch selection: This time-saving feature helps you to pick out your preferred stitch with an easy-push button
- Oversized sewing table: The handy oversized work table offers you all the necessary comfort to accommodate quilting or other extra-large sewing projects without affecting quality
- Impressive 9 presser feet: These include zigzag, buttonhole, overcasting, monogramming, zipper, blind stitches, button-fitting, walking and quilting feet to help you complete all projects quickly and without problems
- Forward and reverse sewing: This feature makes beginner’s double-stitch the designs without stopping the machine
- Brighter workspace: The machine’s lighting provides you with a bright working space to assist you when sewing. However, heavily-designed materials may require even more lighting
- Automatic needle thread: With one touch of the auto-threading lever located on the side of the sewing machine, the needle will be threaded and ready for sewing
- Simple and transparent: Beginners and the experienced alike say that the Brother CS6000i makes sewing fun and easy. The extension table is very comfortable for quilt work and other larger projects. The comfort parameters alone help to put this machine in the category of best sewing machines
- Quiet and strong: The Brother CS6000i has been on the market for many years. Some users complain about plastic parts but the overall build quality is sound. Most users say this is a very quiet machine although the noise level ramps up somewhat when you sew on high speed settings
- Computerized operation: Users report that computerized operation makes for fewer errors and more precise results. If you start a task such as a buttonhole and conduct the setup part incorrectly, an error message will appear. This saves you from making a mistake that could trash your project. The majority of sewing instructors and professional tailors say the CS6000i performs beautifully across a range of simple and complex projects, from clothing or costumes to blankets or crafts
- It is easy to operate and lightweight
- The price of the machine is low which can be the most important deciding factor
- The Start/Stop button is very convenient to operate
- Computerized operations make complex projects within a stipulated time easy to achieve
- The extra-wide work table allows you to carry out oversized projects
- Up and down buttons are major time savers
- 60 stitches allow you to complete any job promptly
- The LCD screen will be highly useful for beginners
- It is a true multipurpose sewing machine
- This includes a lot of accessories and is useful for a very wide range of projects
- The machine is made of plastic which is one of the major drawbacks
- It doesn’t work well with thick fabrics like canvas and leather because these fabrics are meant to be stitched on heavy machines
Product ranking and rating as per Amazon
It earns an overall rating of 4.5 stars out of 5. Most of the customer reviews appreciate the combination of affordable price and great features found on this computerized machine. They also say it is easy to learn and use and hence it is recommended as the best sewing machine.
The Brother CS6000i has various options for beginners. It is not suitable for industrial use but it’s perfect for household tasks and basic sewing requirements.
It has 60 stitches making it very flexible and user-friendly. This is one of the most beneficial machines for the crafting and sewing hobbyist.
It is lightweight and portable, so you can create projects anywhere and any time.
The sewing machine is offered with a 25-year limited warranty.
The instruction manual is available in English and Spanish and explains the operation procedure and mechanisms clearly.
Even though the machine is made from plastic, its innumerable features and outstanding functionality overcomes this minor shortcoming.
The Brother CS6000i Feature Rich Sewing Machine is the best sewing machine for newcomers to the art.
It has all the features to complete even complicated projects in a quick timeframe.
It comes very well-reviewed by both beginners and experienced seamstresses.
The combination of low price and lots of features makes it one of the best sewing machines. It also represents excellent value for money.
Users describe it as extremely easy to pick up thanks to its computerization. In comparison to other machines in this price range, it simply can’t be beaten by any other model.
If you want flexible sewing options and a low price, then this model will sit well on your shortlist.
7) SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist
SINGER is a renowned brand that any seamstress can trust. It has been serving the sewing fraternity since 1855 with its wonderfully-created sewing machines.
Over the course of time, modern technology entered the field of sewing machines. Nowadays, people are always eagerly waiting for the latest addition to SINGER’s range.
The most recent model is known as the SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine, a marvelous machine known for its spectacular performance.
This machine comes equipped with some great features that outflank much of the opposition.
This is a rare combination of some of the best sewing machines you have ever come across in one awesome package.
Key Features and Benefits
The working area is supported with LED lights which makes working on your projects a breeze. There is also an extension table which is very useful when it comes to managing some of the bigger jobs such as quilting.
With the SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist sewing machine, you will have access to 600 built-in stitches. There are 13 one-step buttonholes. This is the simplest form of making buttonholes.
The one-touch auto service is perfect for trimming both the lower and upper threads. Electrical autopilot offers both great comfort and easy sewing. You can control the machine automatically without using the foot pedal. This is a handy feature only you can find with a best sewing machine.
- This sewing machine is suitable for stitching multiple layers of fabric making it the best sewing machine in its class. You just need to select the right needle and match it with the fabric of your choice. You will produce neat and tidy work every time
- The deal is excellent with various accessories like needles, bobbins, a dust cover, spool pin, spool caps, an extension table, quilting bar, screwdrivers and even a foot controller thrown in
- There are nearly 600 built-in stitches which is a superb choice catering for all your needs. Other notable features include LED lights for illuminating the sewing area, an LCD backlit screen and an auto bobbin. With auto-reverse, 25 needle position and autopilot, the 9960 will not disappoint
- For handling larger items, an extension table would be very useful
- The bobbin case is pretty low quality and some users complain of this breaking after a very short period of time
The SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist 600-Stitch machine has some negative points to bear in mind but overall the experience reported by users is overwhelmingly positive. It is a strong contender for the best sewing machine for beginners. More advancers users will also find this a welcoming piece of kit.
Nearly 90% of all customers give positive reviews about the 9960 and love to use this sewing machine for various projects.
Invest in the SINGER and look at it as your long-term sewing partner.
Buying Guide For Choosing The Best Serger Sewing Machine
Do you currently use a serger machine? If not, then it is high time that you add one to your craftwork collection.
This kind of sewing machine is versatile, useful and gaining much more popularity than ever before.
A serger is a specialty machine used for overcasting, sewing over or even enclosing the raw sides of the fabric.
It helps to prevent fraying and offers truly professional finishes to the edges of material. This same serger is used for trimming off the excess form of seam allowances…
And all this in one easy-to-use package!
True sewing aficionados will understand the special scope of an overlocker machine. They are small but deceptively powerful.
Serger machines are flexible, fast and smooth. You can enjoy continuous stitching, stretch seams and give your garments a durable finish. As the raw edges are closed, the finished results form a professional look without any form of fraying.
From rolling hems to the addition of elastics and creating some wonderful decorative stitches, this machine is one of a kind.
Are you planning to buy the best overlock sewing machine for the first time?
If so, read through this buying guide now and get instant help. Choosing the best serger machine with so many different options at your disposal can be tough. We are here to make the job easy for you!
Tips For Getting The Best Sewing Machine
- Firstly, consider the reasons why you need this sewing machine. Always remember that depending on your needs, some makes and models are more suitable than others. Whether you want to make crafts or sew draperies, the models will vary in what they can do. Is the brand important to you? For example, a machine meant for alteration or mending will vary from one aimed at quilting or embroidery. Analyze your needs carefully. Choose the best sewing machine for your requirements
- You have to be honest with yourself. Think about the amount of time you are willing to spend on overlocking work. Most serger sewing machines are fast and known for stitching 1300 stitches per minute. Do your research. Test them out if possible. Decide how important speed is for you and choose accordingly
- Comparing various machines rather than homing in on a single item is crucial. The types and quality of these sewing machines will vary from basic machines to much more advanced units. You can opt for something simple if you plan to limit yourself to occasional mending. Invest money in high-end machines if you aim to do more with it. Think seriously about how you will use your serger as this will affect the selection you make
- Wherever you plan to make your purchase, it’s a smart idea to browse online first. Start by getting a clear idea of prices. If you want to buy an overlocker from a retail outlet then it’s highly likely to cost you more. If you like the idea of testing out some sergers and asking an assistant for some advice on buying the best sewing machine, go to a store first. There is nothing to stop you from seeking out help, trying various sergers and then buying online. Do what’s right for you
- Now you should have a good idea of what type of product you are looking for. The cheaper machines are almost disposable. They come with plastic cams that are quite hard to replace. You could opt for a mid-range serger if you are an occasional seamstress. However, these machines are still unlikely to last a long time if you start using them more than just occasionally. The best sewing machine is designed to go the distance. Premium models are manufactured using top-tier raw materials and are engineered to higher standards. Again, only you know what’s best for your needs and budget
- Next, you need to narrow down your search to two to three machines. After searching online, perhaps it’s time to start looking for a demonstration of each of these machines. This will be easier with the more recognized brands like Brother, SiRUBA or Singer
- After shortlisting these machines, you should finalize your budget. Look for the best sewing machine within these limits. You might need some adjustments or compromises to get the best fit overall. Sometimes, reputable online companies offer a discount on these sewing machines. Take the time to look out for special deals that will help you to grab the best serger for your money
- Start comparing your budget with the prices of the machines you have in mind. If any adjustments are to be made, it might take some extra time. This is not time wasted, though. Also, you can ask for professional help if you cannot decide on the best sewing machine for your needs and wallet. It is better to do your homework fully. Fail to plan and plan to fail!
- Online stores like Amazon or eBay help by offering some fantastic deals on these overlocker sewing machines. There are a huge range of makes and models available and you can choose the one that best matches your requirements. This is where a little bit of research will go a long way.
- Look for the best sewing machines that have great instructional manuals. Some retail outlets ask for a hefty amount just for the sake of the instructional manual. They should be free of charge. If you find that you learn best visually, pay attention to those manufacturers providing DVDs as well as instructions in written form. They say a picture speaks a thousand words. Watching a live demonstration is more effective still
- After you are completely satisfied with the features and specifications, you can place your order confidently. The selection of a serging machine and narrowing this choice down to the best sewing machine need not be a tedious job. Look at this time spent positively. You will end up with the smartest option instead of just rushing in and buying the wrong model. Once this part is over, you are not far away from your first project! Remember: most online stores offer free shipping and door delivery. This will not only save you money but also the hassle of carrying your overlocker home
- Once you have your serger, before anything else, spend some time reading the manual. This will give you a basic overview of the stitching and operational techniques. Carry out some trial stitching and serging before you actually start working on a real project. Once you are familiarized with your new machine, you can easily hunt down the best stitching or serging plan that will satisfy your requirements for any given piece of craftwork. Creating a fine collection of embroidery work and serging will now be an extremely simple task. Enjoy!
Now For The Wrap-Up
These overlock sewing machines from Brother, Singer or SiRUBA are all well worth considering if you are in the market for the best sewing machine.
The key is in finding which one works best with the plans you have in mind for serging. Think very carefully about price, value for money, build quality, features and accessories.
Brother, Singer and SiRUBA are all reputable brands known for their innovative product lines. They are leading suppliers of sewing machines, embroidery machines and overlocker machines. These companies are recognized for producing state-of-the-art, premium-quality machines and accessories. If you are looking for the best sewing machine, then each of these has something different and valuable to offer.
Some more great news: these machines are extremely straightforward to operate! Reading through the manuals will empower even a beginner to manage simple stitching operations with ease. After a few trial stitching attempts, even novices can speedily master the art of embroidering and serging. The interfaces of these machines are so simple that you will be up and running rapidly.
Start working on the sewing machine after checking out the instructional DVD, manual, and overlock sewing machine reviews. Ramp up your sewing service to a truly professional level.
If you have any questions at all then do not hesitate to contact us. We aim to answer all queries as quickly as possible.
We hope you found these reviews of the best sewing machine and the buying guide useful.
Enjoy our site!
- Westcott Titanium Bonded Scissors, Straight-Handle, Pointed Tip, 8-Inch, Gray/Yellow, 2-pack (13901)
- Provo Craft Cricut Cutting Mats, Standard Grip, 12x12-Inch, 2-Pack
- VELCRO Brand - Sticky Back - 3 1/2" x 3/4" Strips, 4 Sets - Black
- Cricut StandardGrip Adhesive Cutting Mat, 12 by 24-Inch
- Clover "Shiro" Tape Measure